Thursday, June 26, 2008

Winterthur Glimpses


Here's where I got today on this project. When I looked at the sketch for a while, I began to see changes and finally got to this point.

First I did the architectural elements with my glass pen, liquid watercolor and some washes made from the same color. Then I drew in the flowers and painted them. Finally, today, I did the sky and the greens. I'm not sure I'm happy with it and I'd love some critiques. I can take it, folks.

What I'm really hoping that someone who knows Winterthur will buy it when there's a sale there in the fall. This one is a half-sheet (14" x 22"). As usual, if you click on the picture here you can see it bigger and brighter.

1 comment:

Watercolors by Susan Roper said...

Jane,

Since I have not painted anything with a collage format I probably don't know what I am talking about here, but will talk anyway!

This is so masterfully drawn and composed, I love it! The architectural elements are softened by the flowers/foliage in front and the entire composition is just so warm and charming.

My one question is whether the foreground flowers and foliage might have a few more darks to separate them from the architectural elements behind them? I find I would like to consider that I am looking over the foreground flowers to see the buildings behind? If so, those would be a bit darker. This suggestion may go against your collage skills which might not require that we feel those flowers are in front of the buildings, so please correct me if I am speaking out of ignorance of the intent of collage.

Great painting....Susan