Monday, November 30, 2009

Drifter


One of the neat things about working with pastels, especially on sanded paper that takes lots of layers, is that I can work and work and work. One of the difficult things about working with pastels is that there's no obvious stopping point. I've been working on this painting for days and days. The water was hard enough to get like water, but the leaf was even harder. I must have wiped off and redone the leaf eight or ten times. I still think it looks like a flower, but I've decided to put the glassine over this for storage and tape it down so I don't keep looking and twiddling and smearing pastel all over my hands and clothes. I have no idea where I took the photo of the water; the leaf was done with a couple of real maple leaves that escaped the raking. As usual, this will look better if you click on the picture for the larger and brighter version.

3 comments:

Vicki Greene said...

Really great water.

LSVoight said...

I love this!! the water is moving and is so colorful and pretty!! This makes me want to try pastels :)

Irena said...

Swietnie udało ci się uchwycić toń wody.Bardzo mi się podoba.TO są suche pastele,na czarnym tle?