Saturday, May 26, 2007

Another Iris


Our friend Dorothy brought even more irises over on Thursday, our painting day. I took a bunch of pictures of this peach one before she took it home again. This is the result, painted yesterday. It's hard to paint something this abstract. I draw enough outlines to (try to) find my way, then paint the colors and shapes within those outlines while I study my reference very closely. It's easy to get lost! As I paint, it doesn't look like much but a stroke of paint here and there. I have to get back from the painting---way back---to have it look like anything. I usually strive to paint the final color and value on the first stroke, but this time, because of the glow in the flower I painted glazes. That requires the patience to let one layer dry completely before I paint another, not often easy for me.

1 comment:

Michelle Himes said...

You've been tagged!

Jane, I have been tagged, and according to the rules of the game I now have to tell 7 things about myself and then tag 7 other people. I chose you because I enjoy reading your blog and looking at your watercolors. Please look at my blog to see the other people I have tagged, and what I have revealed about myself, and then I hope you will join in and tell us 7 things about yourself and tagging 7 new people.
I hope you will play.

Michelle